Web 2.0 – Part 1

Web 2.0 – Building Your Classroom Experience – Part 1
Getting People Started with the Basics

This page focusses on giving people the 10 basic skills and concepts for understanding the web 2.0 experience.
[kml_flashembed movie="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-9132701495911891485" width="400" height="326" wmode="transparent" /]

Key Concepts from the Video

Important Assumptions About Users of Web 2.0

1. The web is abstract. Make no mistake. Even though many of us are at ease with the web and find it simple to navigate and explore, most people find the web and its tools to be very abstract. So as we seek to promote web 2.0 as an important teaching and learning environment, we must remember to speak in terms that people can understand and help these teachers make intellectual transitions from the linear world world of textbooks and classrooms to the abstract digital world of online self publishing and social networking. This involves understanding the methods and circumstances that most classroom teachers have been using and experiencing over the last 10 to 15 years. In other words, web 2.0 is still a vision into which people must be guided with an awareness of where people are coming from.

2 . Users have a wide diversity of competence. One of the issues around building a web 2.0 learning environment is that there are huge differences within the skill sets of our users. Some people are intuitive and natural while others are confused and intimidated. So, within any group of users, never make any assumptions that people know how to do even the most basic web functions. If people are going to come to appreciate the web 2.0 experience then we must always proceed with the assumption that someone doesn’t know how to do the task or process you are using.

Why Do We Need These Basic Skills and Concepts?

If we want people to experience the web 2.0 phenomenon we have to deal with these issues of abstraction and skill development first. If the web is an abstract system to most people and skill sets among users are hugely diverse, than we need to find ways to make the web more concrete and establish some key skills and concepts to allow people to move forward into web 2.0 environments.

Building a Web 2.0 Classroom with 10 Key Skills and Concepts

So lets state some basic skills and concepts that immediately affect a user’s web 2.0 experience. The idea here is these basic skills and concepts will let users understand and apply almost any of the web 2.0 tools that exist.

1. Browser tabbing vs windowing immediately lets users control their visual experience and organize their navigation.

2. Bookmarking immediately gives users control over the archiving and cataloguing of their web sources.

3. Signing up to a Web 2.0 tool such as Youtube immediately makes the user a member in the web 2.0 world, exposes them to the 2.0 institutions, and demos the ease of entry and membership.

4. Commenting on content in Youtube or other sites immediately shows the ease of participation and the culture of collaboration in web 2.0.

5. Cutting and Pasting using the keyboard short cuts immediately empowers users to think in terms of efficient, productive and creative ways to move content around the web and gets teachers thinking in terms of students deconstructing and reconstructing information.

6. Emphasis and alignment using font size, bold and alignment immediately lets users organize their information and gives their posts and reconstructed information simple but vital information design structure.

7. Using images properly by reducing file size, making images web ready for uploading immediately lets users exploit the power of using images on the web.

8. Explaining and applying linking lets users begin the process of making simple systems and applying the web “edit” to their work.

9. Slideshowing using a popular image uploading site lets users apply the image basics in a more dynamic way and lets users build engaging content quickly.

10 Embedding video or other content shows users the possibilities of using dynamic content and is a stepping stone to the rich processes of web 2.0.

4 thoughts on “Web 2.0 – Part 1

1. Pingback: » Technology, Teaching and the Process of Change Metamurphism

2. Lovely 1st part of your presentation- I’m still watching it but decided to jot down some of the things I liked.

1) The interruptions of that character of yours!!!! Great tool to keep audience attention- After so many online presentations that have been watching for the last couple of days…those energy bits generated by the funny MR Kebobolous that you wonderfully created – quite a comedian actually- are sort of relaxing and encouraging to keep going into the “movie” with 100% more attention- love that strategy, sure it works OK with your students- Highly motivating.

2) Your suggestions on the need for teachers to avoid taking things for granted with students when working online- Very true- I got surprised several times at realising that they actually had no idea of certain online features that appeared simple before my eyes and mind ! More empathy is crucial when teaching, and if we are using the internet, well – empathy is “the” key.

3) well this is not a comment but a technical questio: What program did you use to make your presentation? The capturing of video on the work screen surprised me and the platform where you actually had your ideas typed and allowed some blocks with more stuff /text clarifying content- What is that? Looks so useful for teaching online.

Well, that’s it for the moment- will continue watching you- Am really enjoying it.

Kind regards from Argentina 😉

3. Thank you for your comments Alicia. All the way from Argentina. Wow, I love this whole thing!! I’m glad you’re enjoying the format. Vinnie K. is very interesting character and he’s a lot of fun for me too. I really like your use of the word empathy because I think that’s a key concept for online educators to grapple with in order to take this online medium forward. Thanks for that.

As for the technical question, I use Snapz Pro (Mac) as my screen capture software. After experimenting with various slideshow programs, I came back to using Appleworks Draw Mode. I just build my presentation down the page and drag and drop objects into the screen capture window as I’m talking. I find it much better that powerpoint type slideshows because it allows me change things really easily on the fly and I’ve got control in the moment while I’m filming. I know it might sound simple but that’s the idea. Finally, I use iChat, but only for the video preview window for my webcam. Then I just bring that window forward when I want to talk.
    Hope that’s helpful.
    Drew

4. Pingback: Web 2.0 Learning Tools » Blog Archive » Thing “13″ Conference